Friday, February 20, 2009

The Man Who Sold The World

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

- Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994

April 5, 1994 was different. Sometime during the day, a shot gun did the ominous task of delivering its deadly cargo into a human head resulting in almost instantaneous death! Three days later on April 8, the world was told of Kurt Cobain's death! A lot was said and some out of the ordinary speculations were made from time to time by many people connected to the investigations. But what remains is that at 27, the world had come to tragically lose one of the best musicians it had ever known!

So it Smells like teen spirit? But you said Come as you are, in a Heart Shaped Box! Why? For All Apologies? It must be for Polly to Drain You right? I can understand how it is In Bloom when Something in the Way, About a Girl seems Dumb to Breed the question Where Did You Sleep Last Night! Did you drink PennyRoyal Tea, On a Plain, near the School? I'm sure the Radio Friendly Unit Shifter taught you to know what it was like to have Been a Son more than a Scentless Apprentice! You Know You're Right when you Serve the Servants but I will not understand the Negative Creep, when you say Downer in Stain! No I will not be Sifting the Turnaround for the Very Ape Swap Meet and I certainly will not appreciate you calling Floyd the Barber!

Hey Kurt, wake up, you've turned 42! Its your Birthday today, Wake up Mr. Moustache, lets go get ourselves some Mexican Seafood!

Dammit, what the heck have you done? I should have freakin known when you yelled I Hate Myself and Want to Die! This is a lot more than Bambi Slaughter!

What can I say of the Man Who Sold the World?

Rest In Peace!

Footnotes:

The Blog

The Biography

The Memorial

Another Memorial

Justice for Kurt

The Suicide Note

Quotes by Kurt Cobain

Death of Kurt Cobain

Image Courtesy: The Canadian Guitar Forum

24 comments:

  1. Ive already told what i feel about this legend.. I even used to have his suicide note copy stuck on my almirah.. better to burn oout that to fade away..

    I mean.. i totally love this guy..thannk you for this awesum post..way u liked the song titles shows that you too are a deep deep fan of nirvana.. !!

    rock on dude !

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true legend. A man who lived life on the edge. An icon and what not! one of the awesomest star ever known. Thanks a lot for this Post :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great artist and a great loss!
    love your tribute

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are trying to say here, Rak?? :))
    Is this a tribute??

    Either you are on the verge of going crank or as on into nirvana as Wolfy says -- haha

    anyway, it was interesting :)

    wishes,
    devika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno How I happened to know about him, His name strikes something in my mind,,,, That was indeed a post! that triggered a lot in me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed he is an introduction to me here. Good knowing about this great musician :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about him, I mean, just the name. Thanks to you, got to know him a little more. 27 is too young a age, le?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow... bloody well written.. kinda get to you... amazing word play..

    and yes

    the world lost one of the best musicians ever \m/

    ReplyDelete
  9. btw thats me elithraniel arawion.. from another id :P sry

    ReplyDelete
  10. great piece man...especially the way u connected all the song names..

    kurt!!U r one of a kind!We miss you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wolfy

    Yeah! Kurt was very inspiring! He was much like a religion! Hard to fathom but yet a legend!
    I did read his suicide note many a time and felt quite the way you did!

    Of all his quotes, my most fav is "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

    Thanks for your comments

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vibu

    Legend indeed! And like you say "one of the awesomest star ever known"
    Thanks for the comments

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  13. Polona

    Indeed, a tragic loss! Some of the best, depart the soonest!

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Devika Chechi

    This is a tribute to a rocker and hence the wild side to it! ;)

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bharath

    Kurt was perhaps one of the most famous rocker ever after Syd Barret of Pink Floyd!

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeevan

    Glad that you now know Kurt & Nirvana!

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vimmuuu

    Yeah, 27 is terribly young an age to go away!
    But then, sometimes one feels having lived too long even at 27! Perhaps Kurt felt so!

    And sometimes I do too!

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peter

    Yes, Nirvana is the only destination that is worth being called a destination!
    ;)

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peter

    Yes, Nirvana is the only destination that is worth being called a destination!
    ;)

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elith

    Thanks very much for your comments! ;) Greatly appreciate them!
    Btw....whats with the new ID?

    Cheers

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praveen

    Thanks budd, for your comments!

    And yeah, Kurt is missed always! Whereever you are - You're the Man who sold the World!

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete