Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Woes of My Life

It isn't home anymore. Not the warmth i knew of. Far from it, truth be told. The serenity of my land has long gone. There are only memories left. Today, there is despair and bitterness. My lands are parched and my life is barren.

Not long ago, i had a dream. A dream that meant fulfillment and prosperity. I laboured interminably to enliven that dream. What of it, you may ask. I know not words to explain. I reckon you know my plight already.

My life has been grim. I'm a kind that is now forgotten and relegated to statistics. Meek and impoverished they call me. Politicians sympathize in their deceitful ways. Others, like you, couldn't be more apathetic. Yet, it is my kind that feeds the nation; a staggering billion and more mouths that would be penurious should i embark upon another vocation. No, i speak not with pride, but with angst. This has been my trade, my life, and i do not know another.

Slowly, there are many in my fold who have done away with their lands - their prized possessions handed down through generations. In search of hopeful prospects, they have departed long ago. Why must i not be tempted or forced? There are these new breed of nouveau riche 'developers' lining up at my door with enticing bids, and threats.

Have you, with your know-hows, not read of my quandary? That i tread miles to fetch pales of water to irrigate my fields, and that my children toil under the merciless sun, to say but a few of the many! Oh, what would you know of my predicament? Your cushy jobs and demanding lives would only add to the indifference! Entire villages starve for the lack of water or food. The rains seem eons away. Our crops have failed and our brethren kill themselves. To us, this is desolation. To you this is statistic. There lies the difference.

However, my missive is not all stark. I would like to also imagine a future. One that brings us all that we ever sought. One that makes our lives truly gratifying. Does that sound Utopian? Perhaps, your 'learned sense' does describe it so. Well, it would certainly sound idealistic to many, far too many. And this is because, our future isn't going to be any easier than what it is today, is it? Our fields and farms will make way for buildings, hideous monstrosities of glass and steel, that vie with another to become landmarks of prestige and architectural aesthetics. Our trees would have long been felled to feed endless reams of paper into those fancy devices in your snazzy offices. Rivers and streams would have long been destroyed. Of those left, water would hardly be considered potable. Perhaps, you could consider stocking up your favorite brands of aerated fizz!

What would become of my tribe then, would you ask? As they say 'dead as a Dodo, of course!'

Oh, i know a thing or two that will remain though. Your colossal egos that are dismissive of realities, and your repugnant sense of avarice!

Footnotes:

Written in the backdrop of the prevailing drought in Maharashtra

16 comments:

  1. We will also pay the price for all this senselessness. Perhaps we already are!

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely yes. We certainly will and in what way!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely bang on... Colossal egos will remain like hollow and dry bee hives with no swarm but yet the avarice will never end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well perceived the situation and very thoughtful write up and envisage that send sad ripples. These days trees are more cut down for roadways than production of papers... and very poor planning keeps many trees uprooted to storms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Jeevan. Too much is destroyed in the name of development and i shudder to think about how future generations will live

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Ashok, good to hear from you. I'm doing very well. Thank you. Trust you are doing well too. A long time has passed since i wrote and i'm hoping to change that this year!

      Delete
    2. yes...hope to see a more blog-active rakesh now :)

      Delete
  5. Nice write up Rakesh. And good to see you back in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete